Monday, August 29, 2005

OK, Time To Get Blogged-Down

So, after reading a NY Times article about Re-engineering the Internet, I've decided that I should dedicate my blog to things I question about the world, and post them in search of other people who would like to discuss such things with me. Regarding a re-engineering of the internet, I recall holding a specific conversation with Bryan Kennedy in May (or was it April) asking him, "How would you build the Internet if you had to do it all over again, starting now?" While I may not have been asking about security and pervasive networks like the article posted above, we definitely talked about how security is one of the primary issues facing the Internet today. We didn't come to any conclusions, but the point is that we were concerned about it, and posed the thought question. I'm also very sure those at the NSF (who the article is referring to have been thinking about this for a while now too). But give us some credit, we aren't (yet) top scientists whoa re on top of the academic world of the Internet.

I also find some inspiration from Ender's Game, a (remarkably) old sci-fi novel (published I think in 1985 or so) about these super-intelligent kids who are tested by the government to find geniuses who are to be trained to be military generals by the time they are teenagers. In the story, Ender is the super-genius of military strategy, and he has two siblings who decide to make blogs (YES, there were BLOGS in this story from 1985) that comment on society, and gain a rather large following. Specifically, I recall a conversation between Valentine and Peter, where the question is posed, "Don't you ever say something at the dinner table, only to hear other, adult-people talking about it a few weeks later?" I'm paraphrasing, but today's Re-Engineering the Internet story felt just like that. More musings coming up, I hope.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home