Thursday, September 08, 2005

The Environment

I had this thought a while ago, before this blog, but I would like to make my prediction now, just for the record. I think it was about 6 months ago, when there were early reports of conservative Republicans representing the Christian Coalition advocating the protection of the earth and its environment, because the Bible asks that humans be good stewards and take care of what God has given to us.

For me this was a turning point in politics waiting to happen. The growing concerns over oil in the Middle East, the diminishing supplies of oil worldwide, and global warming becoming a scientifically confirmed phenomenon convinced me that the environment and environmental concerns are going to be the hot-button issue in the next presidential election. Even more, it will be the issue that wins the presidency. So that was my prediction. With conservative Christian politicians backing this typically left-leaning political issue, I see it as a common ground that the Democrats can really rally behind to grab the attention of a broad spectrum of voters. I was so convinced that I even bought a clean energy ETF (the only one that exists), PBW, and it is doing quite well now, I must say.

While environmental issues have stayed out of the headlines in recent months, I still think that now is its time to shine. Human disregard for the environment contributed to the severity of Katrina's storm, from the erosion of the barrier islands that would have absorbed some of the energy and power of those ridiculous winds to the global warming that made such a powerful storm in the first place. Deep within the current political atmosphere, I see the environment being a unifying theme. We can plan for the future by environmental planning for the Louisiana coastline to mitigate the risks of complete and utter destruction by storms and hurricanes and floods. We can invest in more clean energy to reduce our dependence on foreign oil and reduce our contribution to global warming. If I could make an investment in the environment as a political issue, I would do so in a heartbeat.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home