Thursday, January 26, 2006

For the guy who has everything...

This will be a ho-hum post. Sorry! I've actually decided that my blog will be my digital identity, so not only will I talk about the goings-on of my life, I may throw in tidbits from my past that illustrate things I generally believe in. Maybe my blog is schizo. I keep changing it.

So, blaurb asks me yesterday what I would like for my birthday, which is coming up, and honestly, it took me a long time to think of something I want. I'm a very difficult person to buy gifts for, I realize now. I suppose the reason for that is because in my mind I associate things with a personal value. I ask, "how valuable would this be to me?" If something has a justifiable value to me (it will make me more productive, etc.) I will usually buy it. This of course means I have pretty much everything I want, right?

What about experiences, you say? Yes, the gift of some sort of experience (skydiving, dinner, etc.) is typically a good alternative for the guy who has everything. If I were to nitpick though, such gifts typically require an investment of time that I may or may not want to invest, because frankly, I may have other things I'd rather do (This is why video games would not be a good gift, because I have better things to do than waste my life on video games).

How about the gift certificate? This is a clever option, as it allows me to pick and choose at my own leisure, but it does lack that element of thoughtfulness and care that is embodied in an all-out gift, you know?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home