Thursday, January 19, 2006

Back to Posting!

I guess I'm starting to have things to say again. For example, I have built my own Personal Video Recorder (Tivo) with a leftover computer of mine, and it is functioning beautifully, allowing me to watch TV on my own time. I must admit, I have a weakness for TV. TV draws me in, and it sucks my time away, and I know it, but I can't stop. I think it's very much like an addiction.

When I was younger, in elementary school, I probably watched about 7 hours of television every day, starting at 3PM when I got home (invariably to watch the Disney afternoon) all the way through Saved by the Bell, the local news, through Prime Time and all the way until the nightly newscast. I would then start doing my homework, or possibly sleep, and then do my homework before class started the day it was due. What is it about television that makes me watch so incessantly? Is it because I grew up with such monstrous tv-watching habits? Has my brain been programmed to accept passive television entertainment as its lowest-energy resting state? Or perhaps is isn't a function of my environment, and perhaps it is my attention-deficit-disorder seeking out an appropriate medium to supply the constant stimulus it craves. Once again, it's the tried-and-true nature vs. nurture question, rearing its ugly head.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home